Heart-Hips-Head Bellydance is a dance class to make you feel more comfortable in your body and bring out more of your joy. This is a six-week celebration of your body and your ability to move!
Forget what you might have learned that bellydance is about ‘perfect curves’ in skimpy costumes. This class unearths joy in moving, with music, with other women.
This class is suitable for all fitness levels regardless of whether you’ve danced before and will help you find a new happy place for your heart, your hips and your head!
Each course is six magical weeks of movement, learning and soul-inspiring dance. You’ll be fully supported with online videos to make sure you feel comfortable and confident.
Heart-Hips-Head Bellydance draws on the dances of the Middle East traditionally passed down from mums to daughters, in a woman-only environment. The dance comprises of hip movements, Arabic music and a positive attitude about womanhood. It is an accommodating and forgiving dance style which offers a variety of ways to move for all women.
Bellydance is traditionally a social dance. learned in families and enjoyed at parties and weddings. By bellydancing in Edinburgh you can become part of a wonderful community which I have found to be accepting, supportive and nurturing over the last 20 years – my very best friends have been made through bellydancing. This class will be creating a friendly, supportive, positive environment for us to move!
Heart-Hips-Head Bellydance is for you if you want to
- Have more fun and joy in your life
- Enjoy feeling your body move to music
- Reconnect to your body after a period of inactivity or disconnect
- Meet women in a positive and supportive environment
- Learn a new skill, a new set of movements
- Move your body to music you may never have heard before
- Spend six weeks achieving the goal of learning a choreography
- Get moving while feeling held and supported
In class you will learn:
- Gentle self-massage movements and mobility exercises to open your body and mind for the dance
- Pelvic floor and core activation and awareness to keep you strong, healthy and powerful from the centre
- Traditional bellydance movements which you can perform and get space and time to practice them
- Combinations of movements which over the six weeks will build into a choreography
- Relaxation and release moves to leave you feeling energised and positive
In between the weekly classes, you will have access to online videos where you can revise the technique and practice the combinations and choreography. There will also be a Whatsapp group to keep in touch with other students for the duration of the course. These are optional resources – there’s no obligation to commit a dance to memory if all you’d like to do is come to a weekly class.
There may also be opportunities to dance with other groups at haflas (bellydance parties) where you can choose to perform with the group if you wish.
Why does my class get results?
- This class represents what I’ve learned in my 20 years of bellydancing. That is, that joy, connection, movement, a sense of achievement and of being part of something bigger than yourself is what makes our hearts sing. This is what I want to create in Heart-Hips-Head Bellydance!
- Unlike a group fitness class or even a traditional dance class, I want to offer you a class that is about your head, hips and heart. Not just throwing yourself around to beats or trying to memorise a choreography into your already overstuffed brain. This class will relax and destress you, not add to your load.
- It’s at your pace. We all learn differently, so this class is adaptable to your strengths and there is no pressure to ‘get it right’.
- I am a qualified and experienced fitness coach and I can help guide you to make your movements better, more lush and more juicy for YOUR body.
When you’re ready to book, use the link below to reserve your place and pay for the term.