Hydration is important.
Water helps you to heal when you’re recovering, postnatally or any time. If you’re training your pelvic floor, you need your body to have enough water to train your bladder to work well. Water also stops you getting constipated (and straining is NOT good for your pelvic floor!)
Many ladies tell me they drink diluting juice and it kinda drives me nuts.
Diluting juice is NOT water! It’s squash. It’s a sugary drink. It’s cordial.
Why do you need to ditch the diluting juice?
- Sugar or sweetners (which are as bad as each other, IMO). These cause an insulin spike and make you hungry when you don’t need to be. If you have a sweet tooth, they keep your sweeet tooth craving sweet stuff.
- Colours, flavours, preservatives – this stuff is not natural and not good for your body. Don’t be fooled by the fact that they’re low down on the ingredients list. These are powerful chemicals so the manufacturers only need to add a little bit – which is why they’re lower down the list!
And please don’t give me that “but I just use a little bit” – any at all is more than you need! If it’s just a little bit, just leave it out!
- Infused water. Add lemon slices, fresh herbs, strawberries, cucumber. You can even get a fancy water infusing bottle to carry around with you.
- Herbal teas. Caffeine free and a huge number of flavours to choose from. Some even have extra health benefits.
- A spot of fruit juice. I’m not a fan of this, but if you REALLY can’t drink water, infused water or herbal tea, a spot of fresh OJ is kind of okay.
But seriously, try to drink water. Fizzy water is fine. Tap water is free.